Coccidiomycosis is the fungus responsible for valley fever.
• It exists in the soil of Arizona and California and causes diseases when it is inhaled.
• causes numerous symptoms including lung disease
• shortness of breath
Sometimes it can be life threatening and can cause disease in organs other than the lungs.
• In most patients the diagnosis is made by a blood test
• In some patients the diagnosis may be hard to make as the blood test may be negative in those patients
• a biopsy
• or a bronchoscope may be needed