Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS):
• characterized by an irresistible urge to move one’s body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations.
• symptoms occur at night or when the person is resting
• felt in the legs and rarely in the arms.
• Iron deficiency can cause this as well. We help alleviate the symptoms with medications as needed
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: is a sleep disorder where the patient moves his/hers limbs involuntarily during sleep, and has symptoms or problems related to the movement.
• PLMD should not be confused with restless leg syndrome.
• RLS occurs while awake as well as when asleep
• PLMD on the other hand occurs during sleep, and the patient is often unaware of these movements altogether
This can cause:
• and excessive sleepiness